NEW COUNTRY SWAMP CAMP AREA
Table of Contents
NEW COUNTRY SWAMP – approx. 2 hours drive east of Tamworth off the Oxley Highway.
Located in Mummel Gulf National Park, New Country Swamp Camp Area offers a great easy to access base camp location for exploring Mummel Gulf National Park, Riamukka and Enfield state forests and the Cells River region.
- At Bendemeer Turn right onto Oxley Hwy/B56andfollowfor97.3kms
- Turn right onto upper Yarrowitch river road
- continue straight on Yarrowitch river road for 11.7 kms
- Turn right onto Enfield Rd for 2.1 kms
- Keep right to stay on Enfield Rd for a further 2.6 kms
- Turn right onto Mummel Rd for 300 m
- Turn right onto Mummel Gulf Track and your destination will be on the right 45m
- Information Signage
- Dedicated wood BBQ’s
- Picnic tables
- Fire wood pit ( may or may not be wood in pit)
- Water tank for emergences
WHAT TO BRING
Its 2wd access in the dry on a well maintained dirt road making it ideal for vans and camper trailers and low slung 4x4s. The camp area was originally established by the Tamworth 4wd Club many years ago, is well maintained by National Parks
- It gets cold, its common for this area to be wet even when its dry in Tamworth and often 10 degrees cooler.
- Be carefull exploring the steep dirt tracks in this area, wet weather makes most of them impassable even with the best set up 4×4 so be mindful of conditions and forecasts.
- The state forests are often logged, keep a look out for trucks on weekdays.
- This entire region is also very popular with Adventure Motor Bike riders so be mindful of oncoming traffic on blind corners.
- We had limited phone reception here, enough for us to send texts and messages.
- Gingers Creek is the closest for supplies a little further east down the Oxley but carries only what most Cafes carry and can be a little inconsistent for opening hours. Walcha is the closest for reliable camping supplies and Fuel.